Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1.  When is the next examination?

All information about upcoming examinations, including the application deadlines can be found here.

2. Is the certification examination required everywhere in Canada?

The National Dental Hygiene Certificate (which can be obtained by passing with success the National Dental Hygiene Certification Examination) is an essential requirement before you can apply for initial registration/licensing in all Canadian provinces except Québec.

3. I recently wrote the examination, when can I have my results?

While the results are posted in the “Exam Results” section of our website as soon as they are available from the Testing Agency, the NDHCB has up to six weeks from the day you wrote the NDHCE to deliver examination results and all the supporting documents (typically the results are mailed out within two weeks after they are posted on the Web). We cannot respond to telephone calls asking when they will be sent, we can only say that they will be mailed out as soon as possible.

4. If I pay extra money can I have my NDHCE results couriered to me?

Yes!  Passing results and the certificate can be sent by priority courier service - please see the Fee Schedule for the cost. They will however be couriered at the same time as the mailed-out results. Contact the NDHCB for more info and to arrange payment. Failing results are sent by email.

5. I am a Dentist in my country and I want to practice dental hygiene in Canada, what must I do to be eligible to write the examination?

The NDHCB can only evaluate graduates of dental hygiene programs and does not evaluate individuals who have graduated from other Oral Health-related programs even if some dental hygiene education component was taught during these programs.

6. What does a "notarized copy" mean?

Notarized means that you take the original of the requested document to an individual who is able to notarize documents (lawyer, notary, commissioner of oath). That individual will take your original, make a copy of it and then stamp it with a special stamp that indicates that the document has been notarized and is a true copy of the original. You may find a list of notaries in the yellow pages of the phone book or seek out a lawyer to provide the service or you can go to City Hall and have a commissioner of oath provide the service.

7. What constitutes a certified official translation?

This means that a professional (certified) translator takes your document in its original language and translates it into English or French. That professional then places his or her stamp, seal or special paper on a cover letter attached to the documents themselves or to their electronic version (disk or thumb drive) indicating that it is a true translation of the original language document.

8. If I graduated from a dental hygiene program not accredited in Canada or the US, will I be able to write the National Dental Hygiene Certification Examination?

If you graduate from a dental hygiene program not accredited in Canada or the US, you are not automatically eligible to write the NDHCE. We have a special process for individuals who attend non accredited dental hygiene programs. You will need to go to our website and apply for examination eligibility as an individual.

9. If I attend a dental hygiene program in Ontario does that mean that I have to write my examination at the school I am attending in Ontario?

You can write the NDHCE at any of the testing sites that are listed on our website. Check out our list of Writing Centre locations.

10. I just applied online and I received confirmation of payment. Does that mean I am now registered for the exam?

The payment confirmation does not mean you are registered for the exam yet. Within 1-2 weeks after the application deadline, you will receive your registration confirmation AFTER your DH Program Director has confirmed your eligibility.